Sunday, March 31, 2013

Applying the laws of physics to being a working mom

Applying the laws of physics (otherwise known as juggling) to being a working mom is something that takes constant practice and attention, and as soon as I think I’ve achieved equilibrium, life throws another ball into the space above my head for me to deal with (in the form of another baby, additional work responsibilities, or more kid logistics, for example). And sometimes I have to do tricks - such as dealing with a sick child, car problems, or the nanny leaving - at the same time and still keep all the balls in the air.
Applying the laws of physics to being a working mom
A rocket scientist by profession,  I juggle my job of being a “jack of all trades” at one of the coolest space companies on the planet with raising a bunch of very spirited (double-speak for loud, strong-minded and cheeky) and sporty young children who dream of becoming Olympic athletes, entrepreneurs or astronauts (and sometimes a combination of all three).
So in addition to writing about things I find interesting in the fields of space, technology and business, I’m qualified to write about working motherhood by virtue of more than a decade of blood, sweat and tears (and other unmentionable bodily fluids)  and hard slog I’ve endured to try to attain that (impossible) goal to “have it all”. So some upcoming blogs will be:
  • How having children will enhance your career
  • Why having children will feel like the end of the world (and how to cope)..because although I’m a natural optimist, it’s only fair that I write a corollary to the first “rose-tinted” story.
  • How to stop your lifestyle and career goals falling off the rails when you start a family.
..I just need to throw my balls a bit higher to make space for the ball labeled “blog”.
S_G

No comments:

Post a Comment