Tuesday, June 18, 2013

There’s always a last drop in the tube…but should we be trying to squeeze it out?

I am usually really good at maintaining a stockpile of toiletry items for me and my family.

For example, when I get down to my last two bottles of conditioner in the drawer, I make sure I throw some new ones in my cart on my next shopping trip (my two girls and I have long hair, we get through a LOT of conditioner!)
Last week, though, when everyone seemed to start the day with chapped lips or come home with grazed knees, I realized that I’d run out of my favorite “go-to” ointment, a tube of which travels around with me in my handbag.
I’d been squeezing tiny amounts out of the tube for a while, intending to get a fresh tube out of the drawer, “next time”, so when I realized we had none left I resorted to getting the kitchen scissors out, cutting through the tube to extract the final few dabs to soothe my son’s scuffed-up shin.
The whole episode got me thinking about how this applies to the workplace. Usually I wouldn’t go to such drastic measures. I’d typically give up after a few firm squeezes and accept that the tube would go into the trash with a little bit left. On this occasion, I was determined to get every last drop I could.
What do you think the work environment would be like if people were treated like my ointment tube?  When should we stop squeezing time and energy out of people on a regular basis? Is it acceptable to do this or expect this type of practice to happen on very rare occasions?

S_G


 

No comments:

Post a Comment